Crowley….Where Life is Rice and Easy!
In 1886, two brothers had a dream to bring people to this wonderful area of prairie land and form a town. W.W. and C.C. Duson formed the Southwestern Louisiana Land Company and purchased one hundred and seventy-four acres of land to be the site of the new town. They convinced Patrick Crowley, road master for the Louisiana Western Railroad, to move his depot seven miles to the site so it would be a scheduled stop for trains. On January 4, 1887, the town of Crowley was formed and name after Mr. Patrick Crowley. Just fifteen years later, on December 7, 1903, the population grew to 5000 and the town was incorporated as the City of Crowley.
Today, the city of Crowley is home to approximately 17,000 residents. The total population of Acadia Parish is approximately 64,000, with Crowley being recognized as the parish seat. Mostly rural in nature, the parish economy is largely comprised of agricultural based industry. Rice, soybeans and crawfish are the main crops. While farming is a way of life for many, the parish has approached the growth of new industry with open arms. Crowley continues to prosper with many new businesses, along with those that have been around for decades. Its Historical District is home to almost 200 homes and buildings listed in the National Register of Historic Places. To see Crowley’s beauty and to hear more of our magnificent history, come on down to Crowley, LA.
To get a copy of “Crowley, The First Hundred Years” by Mrs. Dorothy B. McNeely, come by our office where we will be more than happy to visit with you!